Subject: Re: Is HP-UX rbootd usable for netbooting?
To: Tomas Tengling <ltt@cd.chalmers.se>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/19/1995 09:21:40
On Tue, 19 Sep 1995 17:17:54 +0200 (MET DST)
 Tomas Tengling <ltt@cd.chalmers.se> wrote:

 > I've so far used rbootd on a hp300 with NetBSD to netboot another hp300
 > but I would rather use rbootd on our hp735 (HP-UX 9.05) instead.  Is
 > that possible?  I've tried to understand the syntax of the configuration
 > files but they differ a lot from the NetBSD versions so I've failed.

I haven't tried it, but I'd wager that it would, and I believe that our
rbootd (which was written at U of Utah) is capable of sending an HP-UX
bootblock to the machine (I don't know much about how HP-UX diskless
sytems work, so I dunno about the rest).

One problem with diskless booting from HP-UX tht I'm trying to resolve is
the fact that NetBSD requires a rarpd and bootparams to be running on the
server.  HP-UX doesn't come with either.  I've been told that someone has
ported rarpd to HP-UX with the HP STREAMS option installed.
rpc.bootparamd can be ported from our source tree.  I started on
bootparamd, but accidentally zapped the directory I was working in :-|

I've been spending a lot of time on the standalone NFS-based installer,
and that, right now, is a higher priority for me than rarpd/bootparamd.
If someone wants to volunteer to work on it, please send me a private
e-mail and I'll help you get started.

Ciao.