Subject: X Server Bug ?
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG, tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bayo Odutola <Bayo.Odutola@es.atl.sita.int>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/13/1995 11:00:41
Hi,

This is some additional information to a message I sent to the port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG mailing list. I have an HP9000/300 which runs the NetBSD 1.0 formal release. The X11 stuff is also the formal release. xdm runs fine but the X server has problems working when the -query or -indirect argument is supplied in the Xservers file or command line. So, ':0 local /usr/bin/X11/X' would work and ':0 local /usr/bin/X11/X -query <any hostname>' would not work. Also, I could not XDMCP query the local host using -query or -indirect.

The output from xdm with the debug level set to 1 when the X server tried to connect to it using -query is as follows:

DisplayManager.errorLogFile/DisplayManager.ErrorLogFile value
/usr/X11R5/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors
DisplayManager.daemonMode/DisplayManager.DaemonMode value true
DisplayManager.pidFile/DisplayManager.PidFile value
/usr/X11R5/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-pid
DisplayManager.lockPidFile/DisplayManager.LockPidFile value true
DisplayManager.authDir/DisplayManager.authDir value /usr/X11R5/lib/X11/xdm
DisplayManager.autoRescan/DisplayManager.AutoRescan value true
DisplayManager.removeDomainname/DisplayManager.RemoveDomainname value true
DisplayManager.keyFile/DisplayManager.KeyFile value
/usr/X11R5/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
DisplayManager.accessFile/DisplayManager.AccessFile value
/usr/X11R5/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess
DisplayManager.exportList/DisplayManager.ExportList value
DisplayManager.randomFile/DisplayManager.RandomFile value /dev/mem
creating socket 177
Created chooser socket 5
WaitForSomething
select returns 1.  Rescan: 0  ChildReady: 0
ProcessRequestSocket
header: 1 2 1
Query respond 1
ConvertAddr returning 0
all_query_respond: conntype=0, addr=84, len=4
Send willing  Willing to manage
WaitForSomething
select returns 1.  Rescan: 0  ChildReady: 0
ProcessRequestSocket
header: 1 7 52
Request respond 52
Decline No valid address
WaitForSomething

However, when I turn xdm off on the hp300 and run the command /usr/bin/X11/X :0 -ac' from the command line (this loads up the X server in no-query mode), then all other hosts running xdm with the line 'hp300:0 NETBSD foreign' in their Xservers file were successfully able to display an Xlogin window on the hp300.

Is this a bug?

Thanks
Bayo Odutola
SITA
Atlanta, GA
Opinions are mine - we don't even use HP9000/300's at work.