Subject: Re: Network installation (was boot from floppies)
To: Brian Oneill <btoneill@member.com>
From: Andrew Carey <careya@PEAK.ORG>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/12/1995 22:45:20
Brian Oneill <btoneill@member.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> > Well, during self-check you can just tap the spacebar to bing up a list of
> > boot choices, and can select via a menu.  On some systems, you can
> > `save' this choice in the EEPROM.  On my 319 (with a Rev C1 ROM, I
> > believe), I have no disks attached, and it just defaults to the LAN device.
>
> Hmmm, this doesn't seem to work on my machine, the keyboard works, cause
> i can do SHIFT-RESET to reset the machine, and i can get letters/numbers
> to appear in the lower right hand corner during startup. I'm not sure if
> maybe my bios doesn't support this. I would like atlease get to this
> menu mainly because i do not currently have a HD for the machine, and am
> planning on buying one in the next week or so, but i don't want to buy
> one for a machine i can't get any os on =) I'm including what comes up on
> my screen to see if maybe anyone can tell me what might be happening.
> Also, if anyone can give me any hints on how i can find out what model
> number my machine is exactly i would appreciate it. =)

As you have a '020 and a 68881, it appears to be either a 318/319/330
or a 350. Pull out the system board and take a look at the timing
crystal, a 318/319/330 will have a 16mhz crystal while a 350 has a
25mhz one.

The screen you described is basically the entire boot menu. On rev. C
and earlier boot roms, pretty much the only thing you can do is to
select which disk/lan you wish to boot off. This would be done
by pressing space and waiting for something like
>| Copyright 1985,                   :HP7958, 701, 0             |
>| Hewlett-Packard Company.           1Z SYS_BOOT                |
>| All Rights Reserved.                                          |
to appear. If you have more disks/devices, it would list them underneath
and by entering "1Z" <return>, you can boot off of that specific disk.

I'm not sure how the netbsd netboot id's itself, but a hpux netboot
looks like:
				     :LAN, 21, GINSU
                                      1H SYS_HPUX

where Ginsu is the machine acting as the boot server. By selecting
"1H" <return> you can boot off of that device.

Andy Carey                                                careya@peak.org