Subject: Network installation (was boot from floppies)
To: Brian Oneill <btoneill@member.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/12/1995 11:12:39
On Tue, 12 Sep 1995 11:58:19 -0500 (CDT)
 Brian Oneill <btoneill@member.com> wrote:

 > Let me see if I understand this correctly, with what you are working on,
 > i could hook up my machine to a network, and boot off of say my linux
 > machine, and it would format my HD and create the miniroot, so that my
 > system would then be able to boot on its own?

That's the general idea, yah.

I have never tried booting an hp300 from a Linux box.  It will, however,
require that your Linux system have a working `rbootd', `rarpd', and
`rpc.bootparamd'.  For rbootd to work, you'll need a bpf.

I just committed some changes to rbootd to make it go in Littles, but
I've been notified since then that some of the changes apparently slipped
through the cracks ... I hope to have that resolved as soon as possible.

Note that I've not actually coded the network install stuff yet.  Indeed,
I still have a few more design issues to think about .. namely, swapping
while running from the miniroot (and I think ragge is thinking about this
for the VAX, too).  This isn't really an issue unless you have < 8mb RAM,
which includes every 320 at least; AFAIK, there's only backplane space
for 7.5mb in those puppies.

I've thought about just configuring the miniroot kernel as `swap vnd0c'
... Initially, the swap code will get an ENXIO, and report "warning: no
swap space found", but continue to come up into single-user, at which
time the installation stuff could do a `vnconfig' and a `swapon'.  Then,
to solve the problem, you only need to include a decent-sized file to
configure as `vnd0c' in the miniroot image.  Note, I haven't tested this
yet; I need to write SYS_NINST first, which will essentially be loaded
via the network, rarp, bootparam to get `root' (which will just be a
directory with a miniroot image in it), label the disk, copy the miniroot
image to partition b, and then load the kernel from it.  Just a SMOP, as
far as I can see...

I basically want to do the same thing with tapes, but, alas, my tape
drive is currently unhappy, and I need to find a place to get the
`backwards' HP-formatted tapes.

If anyone else has other suggestions, I'd certainly like to hear them!  :-)

 > Also, their something i do in the bios to tell it to look on a network
 > for a boothost?

Well, during self-check you can just tap the spacebar to bing up a list of
boot choices, and can select via a menu.  On some systems, you can
`save' this choice in the EEPROM.  On my 319 (with a Rev C1 ROM, I
believe), I have no disks attached, and it just defaults to the LAN device.

 > Please excuse my ignorance of HP machines, I'm new at them.

No worries :-)