Subject: Problems with X Server
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bayo Odutola <bayo@mindspring.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/12/1995 00:04:58
Hi,

Loads of thanks for the team that put together NetBSD 1.0 for the HP9000/300
machines. I have just installed it on an HP9000/360 with 4MB RAM (to be
upgraded) and 300MB hard disk and the stuff runs fine. I'm glad to have an
alternative to HP-UX.

I downloaded the X11 package from gatekeeper.dec.com under the packages
subdirectory of the NeTBSD-1.0/hp300  tree. I got xdm to run fine and was able
to use the hp300 to provide XDMCP host menus to other hosts on the network.

However, when I tried to run the command '/usr/bin/X11/X :0 -query myhost' or
'/usr/bin/X11/X :0 -query myhost' from the command line, I got the following
error message:

/usr/X11R5/lib/X0screens: No such file or directory
Can't open screen configuration file, defaulting to /dev/grf0.
XDMCP fatal error: Session declined No valid address

I got this error message when myhost was set to the local or any remote
hosts. The only way that I could get the X server to run locally was to
include the line ':0 /usr/bin/X11/X' in my Xservers file. If I supply any
other arguments like -query or -indirect, it does not work and I get the above
error message.

Thanks for your help.

Bayo Odutola