Subject: Re: Upgrading NetBSD
To: David Alan Gilbert <gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/05/1995 10:29:28
On Tue, 5 Sep 95 16:53:15 BST
 David Alan Gilbert <gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk> wrote:

 > We only have the one disc; which is pretty short on space.
 > I can make the space, but what worries me is how to replace
 > critical binaries like shells and libraries and the like while
 > the machine is dependant on them.  Now on any other setup I'd
 > probably boot off another device while I fiddled around - but
 > there isn't another convenient device.

Umm ... well, one thing you might do is boot the new kernel into
single-user, manually NFS-mount a fileserver containing the tarballs, and
then use `tar --unlink -zxvpf /path/to/tarball.tar.gz' from `/' to
install them ... note that tar and gzip are statically linked to help
with this.

You might also consider netbooting the system from another machine and
then untarring the snapshot onto the disk...