Subject: hp300 netboot update
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/01/1995 00:50:59
Just to update everyone...

I got the last pieces of my hp319 test machine tonight ... hooked them
all up, and decided to hack on netboot for a while ...

To make a long story short, I was successful in rarping for the client IP
address, using bootparams to get root/swap info, NFS mounting the root
filesystem, and loading and running the kernel.

...and when it dawned on me what was making the boot fail all this time
...rarpd has this presumably historical stupidity (IMHO) of not
responding to the rarp request _unless_ there is a file in /tftpboot that
is a hexadecimal representation of the client's IP address.  This, of
course, makes sense for Suns (given that they tftp the boot code), but
not for HPs.

In any case, I'm going to commit the boot code RSN, after I tidy up a few
things and make sure that the changes I made to stand/conf.c didn't break
disk booting.  Before it works `for real', swapgeneric is going to need
some help ... I have a long weekend this week, so maybe I'll get to it
then.  (Eeek ... probably have to hack config.old, too :-|)