Subject: Hello ! Just got BSD going
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Alan Gilbert <gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/08/1995 13:00:16
Hi,
I'm one of a number of people here at Manchester Uni who have
just got NetBSD running on a 9000/340.  We initially installed it
under HP-UX onto a temporaryt hard drive and then once it was
going we wiped HP-UX and installed it on the original boot disc.

The disklabeling under BSD was a bit of nightmare; I got some wierd
errors and stuff until I found the 'enable disklabel' option (is it
-W?).

Anyway its all going fine.  At the moment I'm trying to rebuild a kernel
for the first time.

Question:
Has anyone succeeded a discless 9000/340 to boot off another running BSD?

We managed to get a kernel accross using rbootd by pointing rbootd at
the standard netbsd binary, but then it didn't try and use the network for
its root and swap.
I've had a grovel around the kernel sources and reckon I've found the stuff
for NFS mounting the kernel but the hp300 code has the code to boot off
disc apparently hard wired in.  If I change the pointer to the root file system
mounter function from the ffs code to the nfs version will it all just work?
(It sounds a bit hopeful!).

Cheers,

Dave (gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk)