Subject: Re: diskless hp340
To: Bartholomew Niswonger <bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/03/1995 00:50:19
On Thu, 3 Aug 95 2:15:27 CDT
 Bartholomew Niswonger <bniswong@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

 > Hello, I am getting a hp340 with no disk.  My log term goals are to
 > play with this box, it was cheap, and I want to play with networking,
 > so it seemed like a good idea.  Right now I am trying to figure out
 > how to get a disk and os onto it.  I dont know if it has a floppy
 > drive, but it definately has a scsi port and no hard drive.

Well, seeing as how it has a SCSI interface (a card, I'm assuming...), if
you can get a cheap SCSI disk, you're in good shape.  You'll be able to
compile the `makedisk' utility that's used to install the 1.0
distribution and dump a disklabel, bootblocks, and root filesystem onto
the disk.  This works best on a big-endian machine.

 > I am running netbsd on an amiga, so I thought perhaps I could compile
 > the kernel and all on that, and somehow get it into the hp.  The
 > problem is a) how do I do the cross compile?  b) how do I get it into
 > the hp?

Well, cross-compiling is somewhat of a challenge on systems that don't
share the same object format.  I haven't yet had the opportunity (or the
need) to cross-compile for the hp300.  Unless you're willing to
experiment, you'll probably be better off starting with 1.0 and building
natively.

 > Amiga (68040) w/ IDE drive and floppy running netbsd
 > 	serial, parallel

The Amiga has no SCSI?  That's truly a bummer...

Unfortunately, the hp300 netboot code doesn't work yet ... It's Yet
Another Item On The TODO List.