Subject: Re: Problem booting a 370
To: Chris Trown <ctrown@ecst.csuchico.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/02/1995 23:12:39
On Wed, 2 Aug 1995 22:16:22 -0700 (PDT)
 Chris Trown <ctrown@ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:

 >      "Well this sucks" I said to myself, and went on a quest to get around it.
 > I installed .9C without really knowing that it was an older version.

Heh .. ``Really older.''  0.9C was pretty bad on the hp300...I didn't
know there were even still images of it around :-)  Mine died with my
last 7945...

I remember shared libraries being in flux on the m68k at 0.9C.  That's
probably the yuckyness you're seeing with crt0.o.

 >      That's it.  The drive light blinks briefly after that is displayed, but
 > it just seems to die.
 >
 >      Has anyone run into this problem and has a solution, or possible
 > suggestions?

Sounds vaguely like you don't have anything in /dev on the new disk...
If you've still got the 0.9C stuff around, mount the 1.0 disk and run
MAKEDEV in the right place...While you're at it, untar the 1.0 binaries
there, too.

 >      I downloaded the kernel tree and tried to compile it, and it got as far as
 > pboot I think but there seems to be an incompatibility between the .9c ld and
 > what 1.0 expects of ld.  It chokes on the "-T FFFF0000" switch.  It says it
 > can't find the file FFFF0000.

Once you get the 1.0 kernel going, you're definitely going to want to
install the rest of the 1.0 binaries ... 0.9C is horribly ancient ...
It's just not gonna work very well at all...

 >      Also, how do I boot a system on a different disk without having to change
 > the disks' addresses?

Hit the <spacebar> during bootrom initialization ... you'll get a choice.