Subject: SUCCESS!!! (Was Re: Still no luck booting on HP-340...)
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/25/1995 13:03:08
After much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth we <finally> got
NetBSD1.0 installed and running on our HP-340's.

The problem: it appears that for some strange reason the
drive was "too slow" and/or that the machine was "too fast" --
or at least that's what the comments in the scsi.c source
for the HP300 standalone stuff lead us to believe.
(The first I can handle, the second, well, I guess it depends
on what you classify as "fast" :-> )

The solution: We added "-DSLOWSCSI" to the Makefile in
/usr/src/sys/arch/hp300/stand
and re-built the bootblocks/LIF files, etc on the 319.
Then we installed the fresh bootblocks on the disk (again on the 319),
moved the disk to the 340, and it booted on the first try :-)

Yahoo!! :-)

Thanks (especially to Jason Thorpe) for all the help and info...

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computational Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA