Subject: Re: Installing to Domain Equipped 425e
To: Kerry Schwab <kschwab@nyx.cs.du.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/23/1995 11:06:59
On Wed, 19 Jul 1995 10:43:37 -0600 (MDT)
 kschwab@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Kerry Schwab) wrote:

 > 2) From looking over mailing list archives, it appears that the
 >    Domain keyboard is not supported.  I don't have any $$ to spend on
 >    HPHIL, so can I install from a serial console ? (Assuming the PROM
 >    monitor will allow to boot this way... I haven't seen it yet)

To configure the bootrom to use the built-in serial as the console, do the
following once you've gotten the machine into HP bootrom mode, during the
bootrom's probe for hardware at power-up.  (Note: this actually applies
to the 345/375/380 but the 425/433 machines I've had are pretty much like
this.  Other machines (370/360/...), you'll actually have to frob a switch
or jumper on the appropriate serial card or cpu card.)

Press <space> to enter System Search Mode. Once you see `System Search
Mode' at the bottom of your screen, press <c> <return> to enter
Configuration Mode.  You'll be presented with a list of configurable
interfaces, one of which will be RS-232 at Select Code 9.  This menu will
be in the upper-right corner of your screen.

Select the RS-232 at Select Code 9 option (menu item 2 on my 380, but
your mileage may vary).  There will be several configurable options for
this (which, incidentally, is the on-board `dca').  Look for the
`Remote/Local' option.  It's probably set at `L'.  To make the system use
the dca as the console, set this to `R'.  Once you've set the Remote
<return>.  This will cause the machine to save the new values in the
EEPROM and reset.  You'll want to have a terminal plugged in to the dca
at this point.

If, for some reason, you goof up and lose the video console and need to
get it back, the bootrom will usually prompt you to hit `L' at boot time
to use the `Local Console' (video) ... It's worked for me before in the
bootrom, but once an OS (HP-UX or NetBSD) started, it looked at how the
various ports were configured.  But, it's enough to switch the console
back if you have to.

Hope this helps ...

Ciao.