Subject: Re: Building a new kernel for a 345
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: 'Most Excellent' Eric Mehlhaff <mehlhaff@crl.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/28/1995 21:34:43
Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> recently wrote:

>"Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com" <eeh@btr.btr.com>  wrote:
> > 1) I have been trying to build a new kernel for an hp-9000/345.  The new
> > kernel boots, but as soon as I go into multi-user mode I get a panic
>
>There are a lot of panic() calls in the kernel.  Unfortunately, it's
>difficult to diagnose your problem without knowing where the kernel
>panic'd...

I just want to say I have similar problems trying to boot up a
hp-9000/350 on kernels compiled from current tarballs.  I've tracked it
down to right where /etc/rc does the mount -nonfs (just after fsck).

At this point, I just let it savecore and go back to booting up a 1.0
kernel.

I did try and compile a kernel that didn't have MFS in it, but it would
then panic a few seconds after the mount stage, and would also panic if I
tried to go into single-user.

The 9000/350 in question has been booting off of hp-ib devices ( rd0) --
it has 2 others but I leave them off as back-up boot devices. I want to
try and install -current on one of them as soon as I get a -current kernel
that doesn't panic on boot-up.

 Eric Mehlhaff, mehlhaff@crl.com