Subject: A few questions Re: netboot
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Cameron Blackwood <korg@rdt.monash.edu.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/07/1995 13:11:15
Whee!! It works! :) Happy, happy, happy. Joy, joy, joy!

Well, I finally got the network card working! I installed netbsd and
it worked fine! I do have one or two questions.... (ok then, 3
questions! :)

Diskless Boot
-------------

Can I boot my HP diskless? The disks seem flakey, so I would
rather not use them at all. If I could boot of tape, that would be
fine (assuming the bootloader is small). Last I saw/remember, was this:

A long time ago, mycroft wrote:
 | I've made some significant progress.  I pulled out some old code that
 | I'd hacked from something John Brezak sent me, and fixed some more
 | bugs in it.  I expect there will be a working netboot program in the
 | not-distant future.

Maybe my disks are getting old (this _IS_ true), one I need to
powercycle after it starts up to clear the fault light and another has
had one pack up on me, already. This is why I would rather NFS mount
everything, if I could. I get about the same performance :)

X11
---

Does X run under BSD on a 98782A fixed resolution monitor? I found
the ftp site, but didnt wanna download it all, only to find it doesnt
work and I have just wasted heaps bandwidth.

Is there a Netbsd/HP/X11 faq?

NFS mount rw
------------

  The install instructions are great. I got it all installed lastnight
and working, although I blew it all away attmepting to install on the
following structure:

 / (hp7945) 15M
   /usr  (nfs mount)
   /var  (nfs mount)

I couldnt seem to mount the disks read/write during the bootstap
process.

I tried to get around this by extracting all the files onto the NFS
machine to get a full filesystem and then taring all the non
/usr-/var stuff and extracting it onto the HP / disk. That must have
deleted/changed something, so I cant nfs/ftp anything anymore. :(

I have the feeling /usr/sbin has some stuff that I need to get the
networking up and running. :( Doh!

thanks,
cam

--
 / `Rev Dr' cameron.blackwood@rdt.monash.edu.au       skeptic, virtual goth \
< [+61 3] 905 3403 or 809 1523                BSD Unix, C/C++, genetics, ATM >