Subject: compiling -current
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tommy Johnson <protius@keman.hcc.cord.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/30/1995 21:40:27
I have an HP9000/425 with scsi disks running netbsd-1.0.  I would like to
use the COMPAT_HPUX stuff, but it won't compile, it can't find exec_hpux.c.
So, I attempted to upgrade to netbsd-current this week.  I went to
ftp.iastate.edu, grabbed the tar files, unfolded them in /usr, went back
and grabbed the Makefile and domestic, then typed make build.  Several
hours later, it died.  I kicked it a few times to see if it was just a
small problem, but seeing ld unable to find execlp makes me think my
shared libraries are very broken.

My adventures:

in /usr/src/libexec:
lfs_cleanerd compiled only with -static
   ld: internal error: number of symbols exceeds alloc'd [number]

mail.local compiled only with -static
   ld: internal error: number of symbols exceeds alloc'd [number]

rpc.sprayd failed, missing ___timersub
  I touched rpc.sprayd, and ignored the problem

in /usr/src/usr.bin:

ar compiled only with -static
ld: internal error:wrong number (50) of global symbols written into output file, should be 51

cap_mkdb compiled only with -static
cap_mkdb.o: Undefined symbol `_snprintf' referenced from text segment
/usr/lib/libc.so.12.2: Undefined symbol `_snprintf' referenced

chpass compiles only with -static
edit.o: Undefined symbol `_snprintf' referenced from text segment
pw_util.o: Undefined symbol `_execlp' referenced from text segment
/usr/lib/libc.so.12.2: Undefined symbol `_snprintf' referenced
/usr/lib/libc.so.12.2: Undefined symbol `_execlp' referenced

I can't really afford to sup, and recompile regularly.  I would just like
something happy with the COMPAT_HPUX stuff.  Does anyone know where I
can get a source tree which will definately compile?  Or is this one fine,
and I am doing something silly?

Thanks for your time!

-Tommy
tjohnson@cobber.cord.edu