Subject: Need a LAN! was: have hp300, need keyboard
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Cameron Blackwood <korg@rdt.monash.edu.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/15/1995 12:55:44
You wrote:
 | serial interface, a HIL interface, possibly a LAN interface (I don't
 | recall the 320 having a built-in LAN), could possible have a speaker jack
 | also (for the HIL feeper).  If you don't see a CPU/FPU on that board,
 | then check one of the ``memory'' boards, which will be full-size DIO-II
 | card if this is the case...If I remember correctly, the 360's CPU is not
 | on the human interface board, but rather a CPU/memory board that
 | connected via a ``bridge'' connector to another memory board.

This reminds me of my dust collector. Its a 68020 (dunno the speed)
with 8 * 1Meg of ram, serial and 2 hpib cards. Its sort of useable,
except for the lack of IO and the slow drives.

IO is the main problem. The serial port can to 4800 (which is slow for
transfering data, like BSD kernels :-), but no LAN card. What sort of
price and availability for an ethernet card for one of these beasts?

I think its better to drop 1 Meg and gain NFS. Somehow I figure I
would get faster performance over NFS rather than getting binaries off
my HPIB (st506) disks (woof!).

 | 	310: 16MHz 68010 (runs hp-ux 5 and PAM - bleah...)
 | 	320: 16MHz 68020 (ROMS prolly say `Rev. B')
 | 	350: ??MHz 68020 (I think 25, but I'm not sure...)

Its a '20, but in a HP300 box. I will have to have a look!

cheers,
cam

--
 / `Rev Dr' cameron.blackwood@rdt.monash.edu.au       skeptic, virtual goth \
< [+61 3] 905 3403 or 809 1523                BSD Unix, C/C++, genetics, ATM >