Subject: Re: Disks... (HP-IB v. SCSI cost?)
To: Patrick Thomas <thomas@cps.cmich.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/01/1995 08:11:18
On Wed, 1 Feb 1995 10:49:04 -0500 (EST)
 Patrick Thomas <thomas@cps.cmich.edu> wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 >   I've been keeping half an eye out on the 'net for either an HP-IB
 > disk (resonably sized) or a SCSI controller.  I've not really seen
 > any HP-IB drives, and the only reply I got regarding a SCSI controller
 > was from somebody who wanted $300 (yipes!).

I always had good luck with posting to comp.sys.hp.hardware whenever I
was looking for hpib.  You can fit the entire OS on an hp7958 (120mb),
so if youhave another machine around on which you can stash your
homedirectory, source, etc., you oughta be set...If all you have is the
internal hpib (st scode 7) be forewarned - it's *painfully* slow on a
fast hp300...

 >   So, should I:
 >                1) Break the bank and assume that SCSI is worth $300
 >                   plus the cost of a disk & enclosure
 >                2) Keep looking for an HP-IB disk
 >                3) Forget it all and try to boot diskless off another
 >                   machine ;-)
 >
 > The machine in question doesn't need to be blazingly fast, anyway, so
 > my big concern in this case is low cost, not (necessarily) performance.
 >
 > Of course, if any NetBSD-ers might have a line on some of the above, I'd
 > be willing to entertain offers (or donations ;-).
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 >    -- Patrick

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939