Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD/HP300 on serial console
To: Mark Willey - NetBSD HP300 List <mfwhp@kids.sc.intel.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/15/1994 16:36:33
On Thu, 15 Dec 1994 16:06:44 -0800 (PST)
 Mark Willey - NetBSD HP300 List <mfwhp@kids.sc.intel.com> wrote:

 > Both have the same-looking RGB plugs, by messed up, I mean three columns
 > of what should be one column, with a raggedy looking sync problem.

Sounds to me like you've mismatched a Topcat video board with a Catseye
monitor or vice-versa...They're both fixed-frequency, but at a different
rate...

 > So...  I'm trying to boot it via the serial port.  Does anyone know what
 > settings to use for speed + parity, etc, and what should I expect to see on
 > my terminal?  I tried 9600bps ? parity, and got '@' and that's it...  Yes,
 > I am using a null modem cable.

I've used E71 on /dev/tty0 and 8N1 on /dev/console on an hp360.

 > BTW, this system still has HPUX - I can put NetBSD 1.0 disks on it though.
 > Also, this is two CPU boxes forming one.  I'm guessing that only one has a
 > CPU in it???

Yeah - which model is it, per chance?

Jason R. Thorpe               thorpej@cs.orst.edu                 758-2003
OJGSE NERO Project               CSWest Room 5                    737-5567
Shared Computing Environment Group         http://www.cs.orst.edu/~thorpej

   "Morality and law are merely conventions adopted out of mutual fear."
		-- Plato