Subject: Re: rbootd?
To: Set <set@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/12/1994 21:01:26
On Sat, 12 Nov 1994 22:52:54 -0500
 Set <set@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu> wrote:

 >         Could someone help me with a brief description of what has
 > to be done to boot one hp from another, via network? I think, mainly
 > what Im missing is the boot file/s. Im not sure what Im suposed to
 > tell rbootd to feed to the booting machine, where it is, or how to
 > make it.

I've been toying with this...but haven't gotten it to work, yet.  I'd
really like to do some of our hp300s diskless, and stop relying on old,
flaky HP-IB disks...

Getting rbootd to provide a bootblock is a simple matter.  However, You
then must figure out how to NFS-mount root, etc.  I'm not sure that any
current HP bootblocks do this...

 >         Also, does anyone have any info on a card (98628a), calling
 > itself 'data comm    opt 100 async/dl  ftz #02429d'.
 >         I suspect it is a mux card, but it has a centronics 50 pin
 > connector on the back (like scsi?), and Im wondering if it is suposed
 > to work with one of these little boxes, that has a centronics, and
 > a bunch of db25 serial connectors that came with a 9000/550 I ended
 > up with...

While I don't have one in front of me to confirm the model #, we have
several serial boards that have the centronics connector on them.  In the
HP-BSD realm, I believe they're called `dcl', but NetBSD does not currently
grok them.

 >         And totally on the side, does anyone know where I might
 > turn up an operating system that would run on an old hp9000/550?
 > Something I could maybe squeeze onto a 50meg drive....otherwise
 > this thing is just a silly footstool to me.

Wow - We threw a bunch of these away for lack of OS...They ran an *old*,
*wierd* version of HP-UX, which I haven't seen here for a long time, and
we have HP-UX dating back to the 2.x days...

Later...

Jason R. Thorpe               thorpej@cs.orst.edu                 758-2003
Systems Administrator            CSWest Room 5                    737-5567
CS Dept, Oregon State University           http://www.cs.orst.edu/~thorpej
               "I brought my BOWLING BALL -- and some DRUGS!"
                      -- ztp