Subject: Re: PANIC on reboot
To: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/05/1994 13:19:44
On Sat, 05 Nov 1994 11:12:30 -0800
 David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com> wrote:

Dave - I see these *only* when a kernel is compiled with any combination
of DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC.  If both of those are gone, then the machine
behaves...

Interesting to note, the only thing that doesn't happen on a warm boot
(as far as I can tell, anyway...) is the memory is not initialized by the
boot ROM...and it panic's in pmap...hmmm...

 > I am getting a panic every time I reboot my machine.  I have no troubles at
 > all running this machine for days, but if I reboot it, it drops into the
 > ROM monitor, loads the kernel, and then when booting, it panics.  Here's
 > what I see:
 >
 > 	<BOOTROM screen prints out and then screen clears>
 >
 > 	<loader screen prompts for kernel, prints some more and then clears>
 >
 > 	<message about preserving symbols>
 > 	<copyright is printed>
 > 	NetBSD 1.0 (DAVE) #6: Mon Oct 24 05:00:48 PDT 1994
 > 	    carrel@haydon:/home/NetBSD/src/sys/arch/hp300/compile/DAVE
 > 	HP9000/380/425 (25MHz MC68040 CPU+MMU+FPU, 4k on-chip physical I/D caches)
 > 	real mem = 16769024
 > 	panic: pmap_enter_ptpage: PT page not entered
 > 	Stopped at	_Debugger+0x6:	unlk a6
 > 	db>
 >
 > But at this point the keyboard is wedged and my only recourse is to power
 > cycle the thing.  NOTE: When I boot up from a power cycle, I never have any
 > problems.
 >
 > NetBSD haydon 1.0 NetBSD 1.0 (DAVE) #6: Mon Oct 24 05:00:48 PDT 1994
 >     carrel@haydon:/home/NetBSD/src/sys/arch/hp300/compile/DAVE hp300
 >
 > The machine is an hp375 converted to a 380 running with the 040 clocked at
 > 33 MHz.  I last sup-ed on 24 Oct and I don't think there have been any sup
 > scans since then.  I can provide the config file is necessary.
 >
 > Dave

 > David Carrel				|  E-mail:  carrel@cisco.com
 > Security Development, cisco Systems	|  phone:   (408) 526-5207
 > 210 W. Tasman Drive			|  fax:     (408) 526-5080
 > San Jose, CA 95134-1706			|

Jason R. Thorpe               thorpej@cs.orst.edu                 758-2003
Systems Administrator            CSWest Room 5                    737-5567
CS Dept, Oregon State University           http://www.cs.orst.edu/~thorpej
               "I brought my BOWLING BALL -- and some DRUGS!"
                      -- ztp