Subject: Re: really dumb questions.
To: None <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca, thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/14/1994 11:06:32
> To: Herb Peyerl <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca>
> Cc: port-hp300@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Re: really dumb questions.
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
> Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 11:15:22 -0700
>
> On Sun, 11 Sep 1994 22:26:25 -0600
>  Herb Peyerl <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca> wrote:
>
>  > Since I got this wizzy new AT-style keyboard for some 700's at work; I
>  > took one home and put it on 'lager'.  Much happier with this layout
>  > than that other stupid HP layout...
>
> Yeah...have that keyboard on a 735, although the one that came with my
> 712/80i is *much* cooler.

Funny, I hate the PC-style keyboard.  But I guess I have been using an HP
keyboard for 7 years now...

>  > Now however; I can't figure out how to generate the keyboard NMI
>  > which would get me into 'ddb'.  There's no "reset" key so the
>  > "shift-ctrl-reset" sequence won't work. I've tried many combinations
>  > but can't find anything that does it... (even ctrl-alt-del. :-> )
>
> I have *no* idea...I can't get it to work on serial consoles, either.

Re: serial consoles.  No can do (unless John B. says otherwise :-)
The HIL triggers the NMI interrupt line for that particular keystroke
(i.e. it is not a software thing).  You could recognize some special
keyboard input in dca.c and do the same thing.  However, the dca interrupt
comes in at level 5 so if your kernel is stuck at IPL 6 or 7, it won't
do anything.

>  > Also; of course; the caps-lock and num-lock lights don't work obviously
>  > 'cuz there's no code to deal with them...
>  >
>  > knowing nothing about the HIL stuff; I can't really do anything
>  > about it...

Obviously, this was a pretty low priority item, even lower than getting
the blinky lights working!  It rated right up there with doing color in
the ITE.