Subject: Re: hp380 hardware info...
To: None <port-hp300@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/05/1994 09:21:51
> To: port-hp300@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> Subject: hp380 hardware info...
> Cc: mike@cs
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 94 22:43:27 PDT
>
> This is a hardware question...
>
> I have an hp380 running HP-UX (don't worry...not for long...) that does
> the following at *powerup*
>
> 	Remote console at 26
> 	After beeps, hit L <return> to use local display as console
>
> Well, this tells me that it's not assuming that I want to use the ite as
> console...(it's a hyperion [sp?] that I grabbed out of a 433)  After I do
> the L <return> thing, the machine does it's regular boot cycle...You
> know...What most hp's do at boot...bootrom revision, copyright, select
> system to boot...etc...Well, after the kernel loads and starts, the
> display just goes blank and never comes back, until a reboot, at which
> time I get the 'hit L <return>' message again.

The console selection is supposed to be handled completely by the ROM,
I don't think there are any jumpers.  Its possible you zapped the NVRAM
that has the console setting.  What is at select code 26?  You might be
able to reset the console to the display by typing a 'C' after you get the
"Keyboard" message.  That will put you in the config menu where you can
look around and find out why it is using whatever is at sc26.  Look for
a serial device (or a LAN?) with the "remote" bit set and reset that.
Anyway, I'm not sure how the boot program and kernel will handle a one-time
override (i.e., typing 'L').  Did you get the "Boot" prompt and kernel
messages on the display?

> BTW...the 380 is the single-most cluttered cpu board I have *ever* seen!  :-)

Ah, you are showing your youth... :-)