Subject: Re: hp380 hardware info...
To: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/05/1994 08:50:56
On Fri, 5 Aug 94 09:21:51 -0600
 mike@cs.utah.edu (Mike Hibler) wrote:

 > The console selection is supposed to be handled completely by the ROM,
 > I don't think there are any jumpers.  Its possible you zapped the NVRAM

Ok...I'll take a look...(All of my bazillion 360's have dip switches for
console selection, of course...:-)

 > that has the console setting.  What is at select code 26?  You might be
 > able to reset the console to the display by typing a 'C' after you get the
 > "Keyboard" message.  That will put you in the config menu where you can

By "Keyboard message", I'm assuming you mean when the ROM happily reports
HIL Keyboard (quasi-autoconfig...y'know...)

 > look around and find out why it is using whatever is at sc26.  Look for
 > a serial device (or a LAN?) with the "remote" bit set and reset that.
 > Anyway, I'm not sure how the boot program and kernel will handle a one-time
 > override (i.e., typing 'L').  Did you get the "Boot" prompt and kernel
 > messages on the display?

I get the boot ROM stuff (lists all the hardware, 'Selecting a system to
boot', 'Booting a system'), and then the drive spins away, the HIL beeps,
and just as the kernel execs, the screen goes blank, except for the
cursor at position (0,0) :-)...It's like the kernel says 'I'm going to
ignore whatever the boot ROM's told me...'

 > > BTW...the 380 is the single-most cluttered cpu board I have *ever* seen!  :-)
 > >
 > Ah, you are showing your youth... :-)

Well, y'know, it sorta shows how 'advanced' the 380 was...I mean, look at
the old 500's...Their individual cpu boards were mostly heat-sink...:-)
(Well, as advanced as a ~30 mips machine that fits in a rack can be, I
guess :-)

Later...

Jason R. Thorpe                thorpej@cs.orst.edu                   754-1554
OSU CS Support                    CSWest Room 12                     737-5567
                           CSOS NetBSD/Symmetry Project