Subject: Re: X vs. Emacs
To: Charles Hannum <mycroft@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/17/1994 14:50:39

> Someone mentioned that the X server seems to return strange codes for
> meta-key combinations (as witnessed by Emacs and xev).  Has anyone
> looked at this?  I need it to work (for political reasons).

When you say "meta-key" do you mean "escape" or "extend char" or do you
really have a "meta-key" on your keyboard.  (I don't.)

I use emacs under X with the "escape" key and have no problems.  I am using
emacs 19.25 compiled with X.  I run emacs with it's own X window, and in a
xterm.  In both cases, no probs.  I don't use "extend char" under emacs so
I can't say about that.

But, if I run xev, I see the correct keysym names for:
	KEY				Keysym Name (from xev)
	escape				escape
	Extend char (on left)		Meta_L
	Extend char (on right)		Meta_R

I also use the "extend char"s with my window manager with no problems.

Dave