Subject: Re: hp300 X
To: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/17/1994 10:30:10
> What are the shared memory extensions?

X11 has a set of shared memory extensions in libXext.a.  They are extra and
not mandatory.  A flag in the Imake config file causes them to get built.
They utilize the SYSV shared memory routines.  Since they were recently
"re-added" to NetBSD, I thought I would try them out.  I only have one app
that uses the X11 shared memory extensions.  It is an mpeg player called
mpeg_play.

> Mark Davies fixed the disappearing cursor problem.  I have included a diff
> at the end of this message.  The diff also has a change I made for the
> catseye which is supposed to allow you to poll the HW without affecting
> the block mover.  Never noticed a difference however.  You can take it or
> leave it.

Sounds great.  But you forgot to add the diffs at the end.

>            If you really feel like fixing a known problem :-) text drawing
> is really slow compared to the old R4 server.  Mark can give you details,
> I think he knows how to fix it but just doesn't have time.

Hmm...  Mark, if you're listening, give me a quick rundown of what you were
looking at and I'll see if I can't do anything with it.

> I'm not sure I understand the last part.  If the machine paniced, what input
> are you trying to give it?  Are you trying to use a debugger?  I have always
> prefered taking a core and post-mortem debugging.  The gdb 4.7 in the Lite
> /usr/src/contrib directory supports post-mortem debugging (and remote
> interactive debugging).

I was just running mpeg_play and KABLEWEY.  I don't remember the panic
message offhand, I have it written down at home.  The post-mortem debugging
sounds cool.  But I don't have access to 44Lite code.  Is it public on the
net???  All I play with is NetBSD, and while it is more 44Lite-ish every
day, it doesn't have a /usr/src/contrib that I know of.  I'm definitely not
UP on the politics of BSD.

> Anyway, on a panic it is supposed to reset the ITE so that you get output
> messages.  However, I seem to recall that not working right under 4.4

The ITE is reset enough that I can see output messages, but I cannot INPUT
anything.  This makes it hard to get dumps or do any debugging.  I think
the panic is caused by the SYSV shared memory stuff so I will try to write
a test program that exercises it in the same way that X is.  I can then run
that when X is not running and I get to debug.

Dave