Subject: Re: procedure for bootstrapping hp300 machines
To: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
From: Mark Davies <mark@Comp.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/17/1994 10:55:33
	From:  mike@cs.utah.edu (Mike Hibler)
	Date:  Thu, 16 Jun 94 10:18:12 -0600

> Is this the stuff that Mark Davies did?  He had diskless 4.4 machines
> running but he was using some Mt Xinu code (the standalone ethernet
> driver, maybe some other stuff).  He was going to rewrite that.  Now that
> Mt Xinu is gone, I wonder what the legal standing of their code is?

One particular piece of their code I would like to know the legal standing of
is the 7980 magnetic tape device driver.

I have it partially working on 4.4.  At the moment it can write tapes but
attempts to read cause an "HPIB protocol sequence error" (yes this is the same
state it was in 6 months ago, writing is primarily what I want the tape for so
I get by).  I would love to be able to release this to the NetBSD users so
someone with documentation for the tape drive or hpib can finish it off.  I
have neither so have had to resort to logical "pattern matching" between
different kernel sources to work out what needed changing and I'm obviously
missing something.

cheers
mark