Subject: Re: procedure for bootstrapping hp300 machines
To: Herb Peyerl <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca>
From: John Brezak <brezak@apollo.hp.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/16/1994 16:28:31
> : Is this the stuff that Mark Davies did?  He had diskless 4.4 machines
> : running but he was using some Mt Xinu code (the standalone ethernet
> : driver, maybe some other stuff).  He was going to rewrite that.  Now that
> : Mt Xinu is gone, I wonder what the legal standing of their code is?
>
> This is stuff that was sent to me by John Brezak which I'd assumed he'd
> written from scratch since none of it had any copyright's on it... Maybe
> he'll enlighten us a little further.

This code (partially done) is basically new. I used many other implementations
for reference including the freeable Mt.Xinu code. The netboot that I
supplied uses the added support in the /sys/lib/libsa (created from libnetboot)
and a new boot filesystem - nfs.c . The polled driver is from Adam's sun3
lance driver with changes to work on the 300.

The status of the code -

- gets info via bootp request ok
- can read a simple file via nfs

The test driver - netboot.c did this. There is a generic exec.c in libsa
that now should be used. One open issue was how to locate the swap server,
and then patch the memory of the loaded image, but this was solved by the
new diskless support. Basically don't bother the kernel will figure this
out using rpc.bootparam (or what ever) when it boots.

 John Brezak                    UUCP:     uunet!apollo.hp!brezak
 Hewlett Packard/Apollo         Internet: brezak@ch.hp.com
 300 Apollo Drive               Phone:    (508) 436-4915
 Chelmsford, Massachusetts      Fax:      (508) 436-5122