Subject: Re: 040 support.
To: Herb Peyerl <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/14/1994 17:33:11
> hmm.. This is news to me. I was hoping to do this to my 345 since it has
> the little "L" shaped daughterboard plugged into the 040 socket.  I didn't
> realize there were bootprom changes required.  Also; there's a jumper on my
> motherboard that's labelled "25/33"; wonder what that could mean? :-)
>
> I was hoping to just pop in an 040 but now you lead me to think that
> I'm going to have to do more surgery.

I already tried this.  No go.  I popped out the "L shaped" daughter board
and put in a 040.  You must also add a 50MHz oscillator to run the 040 at
25MHz.  (When the daughter board is in, it has a 100MHz oscillator on it.
Without the daughterboard you must add add an oscillator on the motherboard
right next to the 040 socket.)  With the 040 and oscillator, my system
fails in the rom diagnostic test.  The diagnostic LEDs say that the error
is "can't find alpha video".  That doesn't mean much to me but I figured
that it was a 040/030 incompatibility.  (Addressing???)  I tried two
different 040s.  One is known to work.

The HP upgrade kit comes with an 040, a 50 MHz oscillator and news ROMS.
Since I've got the first two, I am assuming that I must have the ROMS to
make it all work.

Yes the jumper marked 25/33 is for running the 040 at 25 or 33 MHz with a
50 or 66 MHz oscillator.)  Somebody at HP once told me that it "should"
work at 33.

So...  Does anyone know how to access the ROM.  Is it mapped into memory?
If I had a ROM burner and a program that would let me read ROM contents
from a live system ...

Dave