Subject: Re: X11 binaries available
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/11/1994 11:24:31
> Also note that the .a's and shlibs should *NOT* go in /usr/lib,
> but rather X11R5/lib...  Nothing but system libraries should go
> in /usr/lib...

Chris,

why is this?  Is this simply a matter of organization.  Would it also then
make sense to put the binaries in /usr/X11R5/bin instead of /usr/bin/X11?
and to put the X config stuff in /usr/X11R5/lib/X11 instead of /usr/lib/X11?

The only reason I created a /usr/X11R5 in this release was for the man
pages.  I figured I was adding only one directory for the bins and one for
the includes and one for the library configs and then about 8 libraries and
this was manageable for me to add to the system directories.  But a hundred
(or so) man pages was too much to mix in with the normal system so I gave
them their own tree.  Probably the best thing for me to do is to use the
same paths as all the other NetBSD architectures.  What paths do others
use?

If you suggest a better set of paths I'll remake this and get you a set of
broken up tar balls:
	X11R5-hp300-bin-static.tar.gz
	X11R5-hp300-lib-static.tar.gz
	X11R5-hp300-include.tar.gz