Subject: Re: X for hp300?
To: Mike Hibler <mike@cs.utah.edu>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/04/1994 10:30:07
> Redirect the output from starting up X to a file (if you haven't already).
> There may be some error messages you don't see because the terminal emulator
> (ite) is deactivated as soon as the frame buffer device is opened.

Already did this!  There weren't any significant messages.  It was
complaining about not finding the X0screens file, but it was choosing the
correct default.  Anyway, I added the files X0screens and X0devices and the
messages go away.  But still no keyboard and mouse.  ;-(

> As for speed, as I recall text drawing was a little slow (I've gotten used
> to it now so I can't say for sure).  Mark knew what was wrong but didn't have
> time to fix it.  Maybe he can elaborate.

The biggest thing I noticed is that input is done by read()-ing the HIL
instead of using the shared memory queues (they are documented in hil(4) ).
Anyway, I'm not concerned with that right now.  The speed is really good
enough.  I really just want to be able to type.  I turned the machine off
last night and _thought_ about the problem so maybe I'll do better tonight.

> Oops!  Thats a Utah thing that wound up in the MAKEDEV file.  You can pick
> it up from jaguar.cs.utah.edu in ~ftp/pub/hilinfo.c.

Thanks, I got it.  I'll try it out tonight.  ;-)

Dave

David Carrel				|  E-mail:  carrel@cisco.com
Security Development, cisco Systems	|  phone:   (415) 324-5207
P.O. Box 3075, 1525 O'Brien Dr.		|  fax:     (415) 428-5080
Menlo Park, Ca, 94025-1435		|  These words are mine, not cisco's