Subject: bootstrapping the password database
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: jason downs <downsj@CSOS.ORST.EDU>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/22/1993 20:05:08
in our attempts at pulling our old hp320 into the 90s, we've hit an
interesting problem (one of many), concerning the password datbase.

i.e., it has none. this concerns me, since i can find no support for,
well, starting the system without a password database. i've tried porting
the 44db library to the old 4.3 system, but it would not fly. i even
threatened, in jest, to rip out the current getpwent() routines and
replace them with ones using GDBM, which i know i can port :).

the netbsd pwd_mkdb will not run on our old kernel, one of many such
binaries on the system.

any suggestions?

--------

currently, our *very* hacked up kernel runs, but inetd is dying right off.
damnit.

--
                     - jason downs  downsj@csos.orst.edu -

                you can't solve social problems with software.