Port-evbmips archive

Re: NetBSD on Edimax BR6104K with nfs root

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 06:09:30PM +0100, Jan Richling wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday I managed to run a nfsrooted system using the ADM5120 kernel
> from evbmips (cvs version 20070416) and a normal evbmips NetBSD 4.0
> userland on a simple Edimax BR6104K router.
>
> Kernel configuration, bootstrapping and idea was derived from
> http://linux-adm5120.sourceforge.net/netbsd/ with the necessary changes
> for nfsroot. I have sent detailed description to the author of that site
> and can send it to this list also if there is interest.
>
> For information: It seems that sometimes between 20070416 and today the
> ADM5120 source got broken. I was not able to compile the -current
> version due to minor code problems that I tried to fix the obvious way
> (defining missing constants etc.) but that code panic'ed in TLB errors.
> The old code seems to run stable - the box is now up for 14 hours and is
> compiling pkgsrc right now (direct! no cross compile - take ages but I
> use it as stability test).

I will try compiling and running ADM5120, today, and test on the
RouterBOARD RB153.  Previously, I have booted the RB153 both from the
CompactFlash slot and from TFTP/NFS.

BTW, the ADM5120 has some interesting features that NetBSD does not
support, yet: there is a built-in ethernet switch that you can divide into
up to five distinct VLANs, and there is a primitive NAND flash interface.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24