Subject: Can not boot NetBSD kernel on MIPS 4Kc board
To: None <port-evbmips@netbsd.org>
From: Aries Wang <aries_wang@alliedtelesis.com.tw>
List: port-evbmips
Date: 08/30/2005 22:06:44

Hi,

   I was working on MIPS 4K with Embedded Linux last month. Now I have MIPS 4Kc board(not the same as MALTA EVB)  with redboot on it
as bootloader. The redboot works fine to upload Linux kernel and filesystem, also, ethernet work properly.

   Now I want to cross-build NetBSD on this board. To upload NetBSD kernel, I follow the same procedure as what we do with Linux,
put a NetBSD kernel (gzipped) to the board. The board won't work after rebooting. I think I must loss important procedure in case of
NetBSD. I surf the Internet, NetBSD mail-list for help about embedded NetBSD bootloader, but so far I still can not put NetBSD
kernel on to MIPS 4Kc board. Would someone give me some advice so that I can try to fix it? Would someone tell me what bootloader do
you use in your case?

The board I use:

* Atheros AR2316 Single Chip MAC/Baseband/Radio
    - Integrated MIPS 4000 processor
* Marvell PHY
* 2MB Flash memory
* 8MB SDRAM
The command I built netbsd kernel is:

% /usr/src/build.sh -m evbmips-eb -T /home/project/cross tools
% /usr/src/build.sh -m evbmips-eb -T /home/project/cross -D /home/project kernel=myMALTA

Where myMALTA is modified from MALTA, with uncomment following:
options		MEMORY_DISK_HOOK
options		MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT
options		MEMORY_DISK_SERVER=1
options		MEMORY_DIS_ROOT_SIZE=2048