Port-dreamcast archive

Re: dhcp/tftp boot cd?

I got it booted now, long story (for the archives) below.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:29:17PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> If you have a bootable CD using GENERIC_MD (plus options SCIFCONSOLE)
> you can boot a new kernel on NFS via kloader(4) manually:
> # ifconfig rtk0 [dreamcast IP]
> # mount_nfs [server's IP]:/path/to/nfsroot /mnt
> # reboot /mnt/netbsd
>
> If you want to do it automatically, you could put these commands
> in .profile in mdroot.
> (I'm not sure if we can get nfsroot path on comamnd line via dhcp though)

Hmm, I wonder if we should create "options NFS_CHAINBOOT", use the
nfs_mountroot code and if that option and kloader are present, instead
of exec'ing init do a "reboot $path-received-from-dhcp" (w/o ever going to
userland).

> BTW, yesterday's 5.99.10 kernel seems working:

Yes, works for me too. The way there was a bit bumpy though: my gdrom drive
seems to be "ageing" and does not like all CDs I burned. Not having ever
created a working CD before, I was a bit unsure I followed the documented
process correctly, but after a few tries (different CDR drives) and using
cdrecord speed=1 I finally got a working ipupload client CD.

However (I should have noticed before) I only have a HT300 Lan Adapter, not
the broadband adapter - so the ipupload client did not work for me.

Back to plan b: I fixed a few bugs I introduced when porting dcload-ip to
modern bfd and was able to get it working. But: it does not like to directly
boot a modern kernel (strange failures after various sections) - probably
it assumes something simpler. Now fixing that was easy: I used objcopy to
create a raw binary from the kernel, and then uploaded and started that with
dcload-ip.

Martin