Subject: Re: Stability of 2.0_RCx?
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 12/12/2004 05:07:35
On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 03:38:49PM +0100, Harold Gutch wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 04:30:24PM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> > On 09 Dec 2004 21:59:29 +0100, Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Hmm, what do you mean with the network "giving problems"? I've tried
> > > with 2 different network adapters and it happens with both. So the
> > > adapters themselves shouldn't be the problem.
> >
> > Yeah well...
> >
> > This is sort of a problem because the network adapter we all know
> > isn't the greatest chipset ever (that realtek stuff is not top of the
> > line), and since if you get an error on that adapter it can't log it
> > since it needs to use the network to log the error... You get the
> > picture. You tried 2 different dreamcast adapters? If so, that's
> > pretty lucky that you have that many of them...
>
> I just logged in to my dreamcast and started the following:
>
>   $ ssh host 'cat /dev/zero' > /dev/null
>
> According to ntop, the speed of this transfer is around 3-4 MBps
> (which is probably mostly limited by the SSH en-/decryption).
> I can't check constantly if the Dreamcast is still up, but I'll
> have a look tonight.  If it's still up, this is a first
> indication that it's not a networking issue, but something else.

The above mentioned test ran without problems for a couple of
hours.

> Next I'll then try the same test as above, just with _outgoing_
> transfers, and then I'll give NFS a try.

After aborting the first test, I ran the following:

  $ cat /dev/zero | ssh host 'cat > /dev/null'

I completely forgot this, and just remembered it again.  So far
this has been running for 34 hours.  I therefore guess it's
pretty safe to say that this is not a network driver issue.

My dreamcast appears to have lost it's NFS root filesystem
shortly a few times however, according to /var/log/messages and
the kernel message buffer.  The timestamps appear to say that
it received replies from the NFS server again only one second
later, however I guess that these timestamps cannot be trusted.

bye,
  Harold