Subject: Re: ram and hd continued
To: None <port-dreamcast@NetBSD.org>
From: Jonathan Anthony <jonathan@jonathan.abda.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/20/2004 09:09:44
That was interesting enough to get into my mass of bookmarks and delay me
for 20-25 minutes when I'm supposed to be out the door job hunting....

Thanks for the info. Very much...
That was some funny hacking in my opinion.  :)

I still haven't even heard many theories on whether the ram is upgradable or
not.  That, and if by some genius, someone did hack that,
what type of ram does the dreamcast have? And is it proprietary?

This gets me curious too, if you start making these kinds of modifications
to your dreamcast, (http://gamedev.allusion.net/hdwrprj/navi/) are you still
able to play games and use it as a dreamcast when you disconnect your hd?
(cause if not, I'll definately be buying 2 :)

Again, back to the ram... most common sense says it can't be done, as well,
would the dreamcast work if you changed the ram?  Or upgraded it.  I assume
netbsd would gladly handle the extra ram.. "I assume"  -tell me if I'm wrong

So I'd like to hear any arguments for or against the possibilities of
upgrading the ram in a dreamcast, and still having a functional
dreamcast/bsd machine.

I assume that the hardcore modders have asked the same question and refuse
to let the term, impossible, slip into their vocabulary.

Thanks everyone.  This is a side of the console world I never figured I'd be
getting into.

Jonathan

MailServer