Subject: Re: PAL/NTSC hardware compatibility?
To: None <port-dreamcast@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrea Massucco <andrea@massucco.it>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 07/30/2003 17:54:11
Marcus Comstedt wrote:
> Whether it's a PAL or NTSC game, or a PAL or NTSC Dreamcast doesn't
> make any difference.  But for the game to use the BBA it has to
> explicitly contain the code to do so.

OK guys, thanks for your replies, I think I found something.

I've tried all my games with online functions (all PAL), including Quake III
Arena and Phantasy Star Online v2, plus the official Dreamkey 3.0 and a
shady copy of PlanetWeb Browser v.2.606 US version, all without success,
since they expect to find the modem and dial my ISP's number.

I then burned the NetBSD "bootable kernel CD" and... SUCCESS! The BBA is
recognised, initialised and the OS starts looking for NFS shares, as it
should.

My BBA is then perfectly OK, but I suspect SEGA carefully removed support
for it from most (if not all) PAL games... What do you think? Perhaps I'll
buy a (cheap) import game to test this statement, but before that I'd like
to have your opinion  ;-)

Sorry for the off-topic, but I'm learning.

Ciao,
Andrea.