Subject: Re: PAL/NTSC hardware compatibility?
To: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@mc.pp.se>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 07/30/2003 15:42:53
Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de> writes:

> But I also seem to recall that the BBA works with _any_ Dreamcast,

Yes, where it's a Japanese, American or European Dreamcast does not
matter.

> regardless which type of software you use (be it a game, NetBSD, or other third
> party software), so your BBA might actually be broken.

Um, for the software to actually _use_ the BBA, it has to be written
to do that of course.  Most games which feature some online function
only support the modem.  (I was very disappointed that I could not go
online with Sonic Adventure 2 as it was modem only...)  The software
I know that _do_ use the BBA are

* Broadband Passport (the browser included with the BBA in Japan)
* Quake III Arena
* Phantasy Star Online (if you have the right version)

... and NetBSD of course.  :-)

Whether it's a PAL or NTSC game, or a PAL or NTSC Dreamcast doesn't
make any difference.  But for the game to use the BBA it has to
explicitly contain the code to do so.

  // Marcus