Subject: Re: PAL/NTSC hardware compatibility?
To: Andrea Massucco <andrea@massucco.it>
From: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 07/30/2003 09:13:15
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:42:03PM +0200, Andrea Massucco wrote:
> Hi all,
> I received today a brand new BBA (HIT-0400), version NTSC U, purchased with
> the intention of giving NetBSD a try on my Dreamcast, a PAL E model. The
> device is not recognised using the games I own (all PAL), as anticipated on
> the BBA box: "Compatible with Dreamcast hardware bearing this mark" (NTSC
> U).
> I was wondering whether the same incompatibility applies to NetBSD or if the
> software overcomes this limitation...
> Is there any hardware modification needed?

I'm not sure on this, but AFAIK SEGA never sold any BBAs in
the PAL parts of the world.  Still many people there use BBAs
with their Dreamcasts, so that should work.  But I also seem to
recall that the BBA works with _any_ Dreamcast, regardless which
type of software you use (be it a game, NetBSD, or other third
party software), so your BBA might actually be broken.

Where did you get your BBA btw?  I still would like to get one of
those, but I have no idea where they are available...

bye,
  Harold