Subject: Re: Updated boot(8) man page
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@mc.pp.se>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 07/09/2003 19:08:40
Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp> writes:

> struct bootinfo is defined in machine dependent <machine/bootinfo.h>.
> On hpcsh, the header is sys/arch/hpc/include/bootinfo.h, and
> it is prepared in sys/arch/hpc/hpc/kloader.c:kloader_bootinfo_set()
> and parsed in sys/arch/hpcsh/hpcsh/machdep.c:machine_startup().
>
> We could pass RTC_OFFSET via bootinfo, but IIRC there is
> no port which uses RTC_OFFSET passed from bootloader.
> (maybe because there is no generic way to detect proper RTC_OFFSET
>  in bootloader which prepares bootinfo structures.)

Sure there is a way:  Ask the user (and save the answer for the next
time).

If we can put whatever we like in the struct, then I think it would be
good to allow RTC_OFFSET to be set there.  RTC_OFFSET is the main
reason why the GENERIC kernel isn't really generic.

(It should be an optional field of course, if not set then use the
 value compiled into the kernel.)

  // Marcus