Subject: Re: "dumpbase"
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/27/2003 11:52:38
On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 04:57:40PM -0800, Andy R wrote:
> Is it possibly time to start talking about ways to
> reduce network overhead on these things? Like possibly
> running part of the filesystem on a CD and the rest on
> NFS? Don't know that there would be much to gain from
> that, but it's an idea anyway...

CD-ROM drives are pretty darn slow, too; I can't say offhand which would
be faster (isofs on CD versus NFS).  If it were a good PCI 100baseT NIC,
then NFS would be unquestionably faster, but that isn't what the DC has.

You might get better performance if you configure your NFS server to use
a memory-based FS and block device, rather than disk-based, for the
filesystem and swap it exports to the DC.  I don't think there's an
easy way to do that on a NetBSD server, though.

-andy