Subject: Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22dumpbase=22?=
To: Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/26/2003 20:09:39
This is a mimegpg-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_mimegpg-www-19337-1046290180-0001

> As others have noted, this is a portion of the compiler -- in fact, cc1
> *is* the C compiler.  Note that it's got a 27 MB VSZ and a 6 MB RSS;
> this means that it's trying to use a lot more memory than your system is
> able to provide it, and it's swapping.  (This also explains the "D" in
> the STATE column.)
>
> Anything you can do to provide more memory would help.  Kill off
> unneeded daemons, etc.
>
> What does your kernel say about memory when it starts up?  Look for
> output like this:
>
> (from my alpha)
> | 8192 byte page size, 1 processor.
> | total memory = 49152 KB
> | (2368 KB reserved for PROM, 46784 KB used by NetBSD)
> | avail memory = 36232 KB
> | using 305 buffers containing 2440 KB of memory
>
> And, what are you compiling, anyways?
>
> -andy

Thanks for the more detailed information. This is basically output I'm
getting as I go through the Packages collection, compiling everything so
that Dreamcast will have some of the same resources as other, larger ports.
Knowing that this is a problem of swap over the network, and also knowing
that I'm not really in a position to tweak my compiler options -- I couldn't
very well comb through /usr/pkgsrc/* for this issue and fix every occurance
 -- it looks like I'll just have to deal with the lag time. Of course, just
knowing that it's not some odd system failure, but just extreme slowness of
swap over NFS, I'll feel better about letting these things run for obscene
amounts of time.

Alex Kirk