Subject: Re: "dumpbase"
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/25/2003 18:26:10
On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:20:32PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> In article <20030225024617.3194.qmail@schnarff.com>
> alex@schnarff.com wrote:
>
> > I've noticed, going through packages, that often my system spends several
> > hours (5+ in this particular case) on a call like the following:
>
> I also see the same problem during build.sh on
> the recent (around 20030223) kernel.
> top(1) says cc1 is stalled on biowait and CPU state is almost idle,
> so I guess it is some vm related problem in MI, not sh3 specific one.

That is precisely the symptom you'd expect of a cc1 that's thrashing
itself to death paging over the network...

You can improve the performance of gcc by reducing your -O and -g
options (get rid of them, or make it -O0 and remove -g).  Of course if
you've already done that, then you're in tough shape.

-andy