Subject: Re: Netboot Guide Outline
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/10/2003 15:10:39
--- Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com> wrote:

http://www4.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

> > Please submit
> changes/patches/updates/improvements/whatever
> instead of
> > re-inventing the wheel!
>

> That was actually basically the plan. The outline
> was a structure of what
> would be needed -- which obviously needs to change
> to incorporate
> suggestions here -- but a chunk of the content would
> be pulled from the
> existing documentation (i.e. all of the
> platform-specific stuff).
>
> Do you agree that it makes sense to shake up the
> structure/layout of such a
> document while retaining whatever content is still
> valuable?

And while we are all thiking out loud here...

Maybe it's time that the diskless how to is split up
so that we have a very general and basic doc on the
concepts of it in the general doc area, and then move
data specific to each port to their respective home
pages?

In the current doc, it clearly shows that NetBSD is
the best OS to use as the server to any client
architecture. Maybe the only detailed talk of setting
up a server should be related to NetBSD, and then we
could let anyone trying to set it up on another OS (as
the server) fend for themselves with what we have
presently?

Andy

(Probably ready to move this to the doc list at any
time now)