Subject: Re: Netboot Guide Outline
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/10/2003 14:50:02
--- Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com> wrote:

http://www4.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

> > Please submit
> changes/patches/updates/improvements/whatever
> instead of
> > re-inventing the wheel!
>

> That was actually basically the plan. The outline
> was a structure of what
> would be needed -- which obviously needs to change
> to incorporate
> suggestions here -- but a chunk of the content would
> be pulled from the
> existing documentation (i.e. all of the
> platform-specific stuff).
>
> Do you agree that it makes sense to shake up the
> structure/layout of such a
> document while retaining whatever content is still
> valuable?

Alex, after taking a second look at the doc, maybe it
would be simpler if we just started some kind of
primer for netbooting that could be added to/replace
the existing Introduction in the netboot document? We
could have a completely independent document, and then
make one specific to the dreamcast after that one is
done? The primer should be a step by step example of
what happens, and then make notes in between about
what may be applicable to what machine... For
instance, Sun provides for netbooting in the built in
prom, but i386 does not (it comes from the NIC). The
dreamcast has no provision at all unless one uses boot
media (not diskless in the strictest sense) or the IP
upload slave, which seems to be fairly unique.

I started on something but I think I'm going to junk
it... We're really peeling the layers off an onion
here and I sort of started somewhere in the middle.

Andy