Subject: Re: NetBSD Guide help
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/10/2003 18:42:40
This is a mimegpg-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_mimegpg-www-13511-1044902565-0001

> In the beginning I kept reading "Go and read the
> diskless manpage" over and over, but it wasn't making
> sense. If I had a list of what needed to happen step
> by step in order for something to boot off the
> network, which I didn't have then, it would have
> helped because I could analyze each step and learn
> about what I needed to do to make each happen
> successfully.

This is a valid point. I remember the "diskless manpage" (as it were) was
particularly difficult to break into as a newbie to the subject (but not
UNIX in general). Perhaps we ought to look it over, find obvious problems,
and submit some fixes.

> I thought I wrote something simple and sent it to the
> list a while back, but I can't find it. I'll try to do
> this again. I think adding something like this to the
> NetBSD FAQ and possibly even the diskless doc may
> help. It would certainly give us more "ammo" against
> questions like this as far as RTFMing advice. I wanted
> to know what FM to read too! Reading the man page for
> dhcpd doesn't give much connection to nfsd, not
> obvious anyway in the context of a diskless client.
> See what I'm getting at?

Yes, I certainly do. It seems like the NetBSD team will always welcome diffs
to improve documentation...this is what should be done, I think.

Since you're the one who's complained the most vehemently on the subject,
Andy, do you think you could at least compile a list of which docs are the
worst? I'll be happy to do rewrites, I'd just like to make sure I don't miss
anything you think is particularly nasty.

Alex Kirk