Subject: Packaging Questions
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/06/2003 03:12:39
This is a mimegpg-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_mimegpg-www-16194-1044501164-0001

As I merrilly move along in the process of building the package tree, I've
run into a couple of questions I'm hoping more experienced folks can help me
with.

First off: if I run "make package" for a package such as lang/perl58, will
it install on top of my existing software? From Packages.txt and what I've
seen watching messages scroll by, it seems like the answer is
definitely...but I wanted to get confirmation, because I don't want to step
on things like my Qmail install. If I'm right here, is there a way to avoid
such munging?

Second, there's been some discussion of kernel debugging when my system
"halts" during package builds. I'd like to do this, and made a point of
going out and recompiling my kernel with "options DDB" enabled to try this
out. However, when I last had a failure, I turned on the TV to see if there
was any sort of message, and there was zippo. Should debugging messages be
coming up automatically, or is there something I need to do to get them to
appear? I've never debugged a kernel before, so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for any help that you can provide. Like I've said, hopefully making
the packages tree available in this form will help stir some interest in the
Dreamcast port in the larger community.

Alex Kirk