Subject: Re: Package Status
To: Pat Wendorf <mlist@beholder.homeunix.net>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/04/2003 01:48:52
This is a mimegpg-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_mimegpg-www-11453-1044323337-0001

> Does the default kernel on dreamcast come with a kernel debugger?

The option is commented out in the kernel config...which means that it
probably works, you'd just have to recompile. I'll set a kernel on to
compile before I go to bed tonight, and see if I can boot one up with
debugging support. Of course, I've never used a kernel debugger...but
perhaps with a bit of coaching I can get the right error messages to teh
right people.

> I imagine these crashes are kernel related.  I'm not familar with the NetBSD
> kernel debugger, but I know the FreeBSD one can kick in after some really bad
> crashes and let you inspect the code it's currently executing (assuming you
> compiled with the debug symbols).

> Does anyone who is familar with this concept think this is possible?  Or is
> the dreamcast crashing so hard the kernel debugger is not available?

Not being too familiar with how this all works, let me give you my quick
thought on it: basically, the crashes I experience are actual freezes, where
all processes stop in their tracks and I see no error messages anywhere (and
can't SSH in). I'm usually not near the actual console when they happen, but
I'll inspect it the next time I am. I have a bad feeling, though, that the
crashes are hard enough to not have an error message.

Alex Kirk