Subject: Re: Package Status
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@3acesolutions.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/03/2003 17:00:50
This is a mimegpg-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_mimegpg-www-10253-1044291655-0001

> Maybe it would be good to actually fix the system to not crash?

Optimally, yes, this would be the case. There are some things holding this
possibility back, however:

1) The total and complete lack of any error messages related to these
crashes. The system just hangs -- and the syslogs have nothing even close to
the time of the crash. Sadly, this sort of thing is a frequent occurance
when compiling  anything of any size on the Dreamcast.
2) While I have dabbled with C programming, I'm not anywhere close to
competent enough to track down a problem like this -- and from the comments
of others on this list, neither is anyone else who is active with the port
(except perhaps Iszumi or Marcus, but they're both already busy with other
bugs). Thus, I figured I'd do what I could and do this manually.

In all honesty, the Dreamcast port has been badly neglected for quite some
time -- there's little interest in it, particularly compared to what the
Linux/DC folks are doing. I'm hoping that by doing things like rewriting the
FAQ and making packages available, I can generate enough interest that
people come back to the port, and progress resumes.

Alex Kirk