Subject: Re: Packages
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/01/2003 02:51:14
This is a mimegpg-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_mimegpg-www-6820-1044067879-0001

>> 	I've noticed a problem in anything that tries to
>> use the
>> POSIX threads port. Try building irssi and you'll
>> see what I mean.
>> It reboots my Dreamcast every time.

Why, that's about what hung me on my mass-build this afternoon. Too bad I
don't know enough C to go after this. :-(

>> 	I just want to get X working on the buzzard. :)

You and everyone else -- I'd love to have it as an X server for other
clients on my LAN.

> However, what exactly is the point to all of this? I
> don't really care to make my dreamcast do anything
> useful (well, let's say "more" useful) than what it
> already does. I'm fine with testing and helping to get
> the platform more stable for sh, which is probably the
> #1 priority before building all these packages? I
> don't know...

The point is that we're all sitting around, not knowing a lot of C, wishing
we could do cool things with our Dreamcasts, and making a huge library of
readily available ports is one of those things. You've got to admit, it
would be a huge addition to the port for any newbie coming to it...and
besides, it goes along with NetBSD's principle of "runs on anything". It may
not be entirely practical to do this, but it's a good idea on principle, and
it's not like we'd be wasting precious resources.

> I'm a warm body waiting for an assignment... I'm not
> much for spearheading something I don't know much
> about! (I'm nowhere near a decent C coder)

FYI, I just used the official NetBSD contact form to ask for someone with
appropriate rights to ftp.netbsd.org to mail the list with instructions on
how to upload finished packages, so we can hopefully do something useful
here.

Alex Kirk